I was really itching to bake last night and since I had nothing better to do, I decided to whip up these bad boys. Yes, these are very indulgent and bad indeed but so yummy! I’ll definitely be bringing these to my slumber party with my girlfriends on Monday night.
Adapted from Everyday Food, September 2003 and Martha Stewart
- 220g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 340g milk chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Heat chopped dark chocolate and butter at 20 second intervals in the microwave, stirring after each time, until chocolate is almost completely melted (Do not overheat)
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs with vanilla extract and brown sugar until it has thickened but still light and fluffy
- Add melted chocolate and mix at a low speed
- Add the flour mixture and chocolate chunks and stir until combined
- Spoon heaped tablespoons of cookie mixture onto baking sheets (keeping each cookie 2-3 inches apart)
- Bake until cookies have a crackly appearance but remain soft at the center (approximately 12-15minutes)
- Leave on the baking tray for 10 minutes to cool
- Move to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely
NOTE: Cookie batter should have the consistency of a brownie, quite thin. Cookies should not be baked until crispy, as they are supposed to be soft and chewy.
– Store cookies in an airtight container
As you can see, I have made some changes from the original recipes. I decided to switch the bittersweet chocolate chunks to milk chocolate as I have friends who aren’t too fond of dark chocolate. However, I kept the base of the cookie very dark with 70% cocoa as this was already quite a sweet cookie, and needed that bitterness to balance it out. I also love the intense colour it gives the whole cookie. Since I switched the chunks to a sweeter chocolate, I also reduced the sugar by 1/4 of a cup.
Hope you guys enjoy this just as much as I did!
Feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you guys think.