I’m going to share a cake recipe that I used for my friend’s 22nd birthday. He was going for a rustic theme and wanted something summery so I went with a naked cake, using passion fruit and fruits that are in season right now in Australia. I followed the cake recipe by Phoebe Wood and Kirsten Jenkins and a lemon and passionfruit curd by Poh Ling Yeow. The recipe below makes 2x 20cm round cakes. I made 4 batches of this cake recipe, which filled 3x 20cm round cake tins and 2x 27cm round cake tins.
Passionfruit naked cake:
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 240g (1cup) sour cream
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh passionfruit pulp or canned passionfruit pulp (roughly 6 passionfruits)
- 350g (21/3 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 160o Grease 2x20cm round cake pans and line with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add one egg at a time until well combined. Beat in the sour cream and passionfruit pulp and combined. Fold in the flour. Evenly divide the cake mixture into the cake tins. Smooth the tops and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer placed in the middle of the cake is clean when removed.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tins for 15 minutes before placing it on a wire rack.
- Once completely cool, trim off the domed top of the cake.
Assembling the cake
- I trimmed off the tops of the cakes (except for top layer) and sandwiched whipped cream and this lemon and passionfruit curd in between each layer.
- Placed 5 plastic tube dowels through the middle of the bottom, larger tier before placing the top tier on top to give structural support.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar and garnish with fresh fruit and serve with the remaining curd.
Happy baking! Please like and follow if you haven’t already, leave me a comment below if you have any questions. Follow me on instagram, @aliciaspunsugar to see more from me! 🙂