As promised in my previous Peppa Pig cake post, I’m going to go through the process of how I constructed the Peppa Pig cookie pops. It’s super easy and cute for kids’ birthdays. You don’t necessarily need to recreate Peppa Pig, this would also work great with other large cookie cutters for other characters or shapes (e.g. stars or flowers).
Peppa Pig Vanilla Cookie Pops
Vanilla cookie recipe
Adapted from Sugary Winzy’s Pinwheel cookie recipe (just made the vanilla dough)
Yields roughly 20 cookie pops (this will vary, depending on the shape and size of your cookie cutter)
- 1 cup butter (227g) butter
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 3 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
Lemon royal icing:
- Powdered royal icing (Queens brand) mixed with some lemon flavouring and water.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in 1 egg at a time until completely mixed. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until well combined. Wrap the dough mixture in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll the dough out around and cut out shapes with the desired cookie cutter (I used a large Peppa pig cookie cutter, roughly 8cm wide)
- Push a cookie pop stick (Wilton cookie sticks) behind the cut cookie. Reinforce the back with some leftover cookie dough. Continue this process until all the cookie dough is finished.
- Place all of the cookie pops on a tray, lined with baking paper and stick in the freezer for 10-20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 165oC (325F).
- Remove tray from the freezer and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden.
- Place cooking on a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare royal icing when the cookies have cooled. I flood the cookie with light pink royal icing and then let them set for roughly 30 minutes, until a crust formed on the surface. I then thickened the royal icing, until it became 20-second icing in order to pipe on the facial features. The black pupils of the eyes were drawn on with a black edible marker.
- Allow the cookies to set over night. Wrap in plastic and tape the bottom tightly.
The part about the royal icing can become a little confusing, so leave me a comment below if you have any questions. Like and follow if you haven’t already! Have you made cookie pops before? If so, what flavour and what shape? In other news, I just created an instagram account, @aliciaspunsugar. Come follow me! :).