This is the recipe for the frosting that I used in my Spiced Fig Cupcakes and Salted Caramel Frosting post. I made a separate post, just in case I use this frosting again in the future with other recipes and can simply refer you back to this post.
Salted Caramel Frosting recipe
Adapted from Chow.com
Makes roughly 1.5 cups of frosting
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup double cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80g unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup icing (powdered) sugar
- Add the caster sugar and water in a saucepan. Mix until the sugar crystals have dissolved.Brush down the sides of the saucepan with some water. Allow this to boil without stirring until it turns an amber colour.
- Remove the sugar off the heat and add in the cream slowly (take care in this as the sugar will bubble violently). Stir with a wooden spoon. If you find that the sugar is clumping, briefly return to the heat and continue to stir until the sugar dissolves until mixture is completely smooth. Remove from the heat, mix in the sea salt and allow to cool (roughly 25 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and icing sugar until light and pale. Add in the cooled caramel and beat until well mixed.
Note: If you find that your frosting is too runny and unpipeable, add a little bit more of the icing sugar to stiffen it up.