My aunt just arrived home from an overseas trip last night and it’s her birthday today. In celebration, the family went out for lunch and I baked these cupcakes for her.
This is an old recipe that came from my grandaunt who sells her homemade delicious baked goods in her town. She bakes the best cakes and cookies! Her recipe is supposed to be baked as a cake and without the frosting, but I added it because I love cream cheese frosting and I think it compliments it well.
Orange Butter Cupcake Recipe
Orange butter cupcakes:
- 250g butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 5 eggs – separate the eggs and yolks
- 2 large oranges (zest rind and juice)
- 200g plain flour
- 50g corn flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
Orange cream cheese frosting:
- 250g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 150g butter
- Zest of a large orange
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- Candied orange peel (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (338°F)
- Sift the plain flour, corn flour, salt and baking powder twice
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy. Continue to beat while adding in the egg yolks.
- Fold in the flour into the egg mixture. Mix in the orange juice and zest
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and fluffy
- Pour the egg yolk batter into the fluffy egg whites and fold until well combined.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners and bake for 12-18 minutes or until the cupcake tops are golden brown
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Beat cream cheese and softened butter until creamy and fluffy. Sift icing sugar into cream cheese mixture and continue to beat. On low speed, add orange juice and zest. Spread frosting directly onto the cupcake or fill piping bag and pipe onto the tops. Decorate tops of the icing with candied orange.
Something that my older relatives always complain about is eating sickly sweet desserts. These cupcakes aren’t too sweet but are tasty, buttery & zingy! The cream cheese frosting is so creamy and smooth.
Tomorrow i’ll be making some mint granita with apple juice. Perfect for a hot summery day. What treats do you indulge in on a hot day? Leave me a comment and let me know if you have any questions.